Whether you need a physical therapist in Burien for a sports injury, gait and balance training, or post-surgical rehabilitation, it is crucial to choose a service you can trust. At Advance Physical Therapy, we strive to coordinate with patients to meet their unique needs and help them manage pain, heal injuries, and improve their quality of life. Because of the potential risk posed by COVID-19, we are also currently offering telehealth services to patients.
While we know that physical therapy can be highly beneficial, what exactly are the benefits?
- Functional improvements. Surgery, sports injuries, and injuries on the job can all impact mobility, range of motion, and muscle strength. Your physical therapist coordinates with you to set goals and benchmarks. Treatment isn’t just about keeping pain at bay: it’s also about getting back to doing the things you love.
- Effective pain management. Chronic pain from an improperly-healed injury can quickly create a dependency on prescription painkillers and over-the-counter medications to keep pain at tolerable levels. By contrast, physical therapy can use a variety of drug-free treatments to aid pain management, including:
- Electrical stimulation
- Kinesio Taping
- Rehabilitative Real-Time Diagnostic Ultrasound (MSK)
- ASTYM™ Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Surgery prevention. In many cases, physical injuries requiring physical therapy are not critical. However, over time, an improperly-healed injury can lead to extensive tissue damage that requires surgical intervention. Physical therapy is one way that many patients can avoid surgery with noninvasive treatments.
- Injury risk prevention. Yes, physical therapy can even help you prevent re-injuring after recovery. Many patients are given treatment regimens to perform at home to encourage healing, improve mobility, and ensure that vulnerable tissue suffers less damage over time.
Patients seeking a physical therapist appointment or telehealth services related to their physical therapy needs can contact our team at (206) 444-6320 or send an email to [email protected].
Going to physical therapy for the first time can leave patients with many questions about how this discipline can help their injuries and illnesses. We at Advance Therapy strive to provide information that is both helpful and informative when considering your options for physical therapy in Burien.
What can I expect at my first physical therapy appointment?
While the details may vary based on your condition and needs, most first appointments focus on the following:
- Performing a physical exam to evaluate health.
- Consulting patients about their medical history.
- Determining a clinical diagnosis and prognosis.
- Formulating a plan of care with both short- and long-term goals for healing.
- Presenting patients with exercises and self-management measures they can undertake at home.
How can physical therapy help my condition?
Physical therapy provides patients with a variety of benefits, including:
- Pain management that can supplement or even reduce the need for opioid medications.
- Recovering in safe and effective ways from injury, trauma, stroke, or paralysis
- Improving balance and preventing falling risks for seniors
What conditions can benefit from physical therapy?
A variety of physical therapy modalities exist to aid an equally wide range of health conditions, such as:
- Hand therapies for trigger finger and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Stroke, spinal cord injuries, Parkinson’s disease, MS, and other neurological conditions
- Musculoskeletal conditions like torn rotator cuffs, back pain, and TMJ
- Sports injuries, including concussions
- Women’s health conditions including pelvic floor dysfunction and lymphedema
- Pediatric conditions such as muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy
- COPD, cystic fibrosis, post-myocardial infarction, and other cardiopulmonary conditions
Whether you need physical therapy or telehealth services, Advance Physical Therapy provides a high standard of care to help you heal. Call (206) 444-6320 or email our team at [email protected] to get started.
After an orthopedic surgery, regaining motion and strength is vital. Advance Physical Therapy in Burien offers a range of services to assist in your full recovery.
Physical therapy may help if you had surgery on a joint, muscle, or tendon and are still experiencing any of the following:
- Lack of motion
- Lack of strength
- Difficulty walking/rising/moving
- Scar site tightness
We create a custom physical therapy plan based on the type of surgery performed and a comprehensive initial evaluation. We never use a one-size-fits-all plan because what works for one person will not always work for someone else. We use the most specific treatments in order to optimize your outcome. We use a mix of multiple interventions such as:
- Manual Therapy (soft tissue mobilization, ASTYM, joint mobilizations, SNAGs, MWMs)
- Neuromuscular Re-education (MSK ultrasound, muscle stimulation, proprioceptive cues)
- Balance Training
- Gait Training (learning how to walk without assistive devices or compensation patterns)
- Therapeutic Exercises (specific to stretch and strengthen the affected area)
- Pain Relieving Modalities (Interferential electric stimulation, therapeutic ultrasound)
Benefits of Post-Surgery Physical Therapy
Starting a customized physical therapy plan as soon as possible after surgery helps to reduce swelling, assists in the healing of scar sites, and works to help restore a full range of motion/strength in the repaired area. Typical recovery times range from 4-8 weeks with procedures for the spine, total hip replacements, carpal tunnel release, and mensicus/labral arthroscopy usually being shorter and procedures such as rotator cuff, total knee replacements, and ACL reconstructions usually taking longer. We always adjust the type of therapy, amount, and intensity to the stage of recovery. If you are only 3 days post-op then your treatment will likely focus on reducing swelling and pain but after a few weeks of treatment we can work on increasing your motion and strength. Better to start soon after your surgery for optimal healing but even if you had the surgery several years ago, you can still benefit from a specifically designed post-surgery physical therapy plan. There is no expiration date on healing!
Contact us today to schedule your post-surgical consultation with Advance Physical Therapy in Burien and let us create a unique plan for your recovery.
If you are experiencing pain and difficulty with movement, then Advance Physical Therapy & Sports Rehabilitation in Burien can help! Diagnosing and treating pain from muscles, tendons, joints, and nerves is our specialty. It’s what we do.
A lot of physical therapy clinics just have you do a series of exercises in a gym setting. We are a different kind of physical therapy. No generic exercise routines. Every patient gets a customized treatment plan based on what we find during the initial examination and from ongoing re-assessments.
Treatments consist of:
- Manual hands-on techniques to loosen tension in soft tissues and restore movement to joints of the spine and extremities.
- Pain relieving modalities such as interferential stimulation and therapeutic ultrasound.
- Neuromuscular re-education to retrain correct movement patterns, and specific therapeutic exercises to restore strength and flexibility.
We match these treatments to each specific problem area that we find in order to restore function and eliminate pain.
Let us help you reach your goals! Call Advance Physical Therapy in Burien at (206) 444-6320 or email us at [email protected] and get back to living again!